Dental Sealants Chapel Hill
fall in love with your smile
Dental sealants are often suggested for individuals who have developed deep ridges on the surface of their teeth. When these ridges become overly word, they become deeper, which allows for bacteria and food to accumulate, which can eventually result in decay. Sealants are made of a thin coating that quickly bond to the grooves of your teeth and create a protective and smoother surface. Dental sealants are extremely effective in reducing the chances of a cavity developing. Although this procedure can be performed at any age, it is most commonly used for younger patients to help reduce the risk of developing tooth decay.
Dental sealants can be a wonderful option for patients who are looking for a long-term solution for improving their oral health and preventing additional issues from developing in the future. If you would like to learn more about dental sealants, please read below, or contact our staff who will be happy to answer any of your questions and/or set up a consultation.
If you would like to schedule an appointment or if you have any questions about our treatment options, please contact our office at (919) 595-1010. We look forward to creating the smile you have always desired a reality for you.
Benefits of Dental Sealants
There are a range of benefits associated with dental sealants, including the following:
- Procedure is fast: Sealants can be applied quickly and does not require any drilling, making the procedure painless.
- Reduces likelihood of future cavities: Sealants create a barrier that prevents bacteria and sugar from reaching your teeth.
- Feels natural: Dental sealants are designed to maintain the natural feel of your teeth.
- Can be done on all teeth: Sealants are equally effective when being applied to a tooth that is rough and has several grooves as they are when being applied to a smooth tooth. Dental sealants can also soften up the edges of a rough tooth .
- Affordable: The cost of dental sealants is generally relatively low, but the sealants come with the added benefit of preventing future cavities from developing, which can be costly to fill, especially when these unchecked cavities result in the need for crowns, root canals or other advanced and costly oral care procedures.
Disadvantages of Dental Sealants
Although the success rate for dental sealants is high and most patients experience tremendous results, it is important to be aware that not all patients are viable candidates for sealants. It is also important to be aware that sealants will not correct existing issues related to decay. Finally, your dental sealants will eventually need to be replaced, although with proper care, dental sealants can last around ten years.
Steps and Timeframe
Dental sealants can generally be taken care of in just one appointment. The procedure will begin with a cleaning of the affected tooth or teeth. Once properly cleaned, the tooth will be rinsed and dried. Next, an acid solution is placed which will enable the sealant to adhere to the tooth. Once the solution has dried, the tooth will be painted with sealant and the sealant will then be hardened using an activating light.
Once the sealant has been hardened, you can begin to enjoy the feel and look of your tooth.
High-Quality Dental Care
At Cornerstone Family Dentistry in Chapel Hill, all our services are performed with the patient in mind. We want you to feel comfortable in the dental chair, confident in our work, and most importantly, we want you to fall in love with your smile again. If you would like to schedule an appointment or if you have any questions about cosmetic procedures that we offer, please contact us at (919) 595-1010.