Teeht Whitening Chapel Hill
fall in love with your smile
Professional Teeth Whitening for a Brilliant Smile
Teeth Whitening is one of the most popular cosmetic treatment options for people who feel self-conscious about their smile because of discolored teeth.
Discoloration can be caused by a variety of factors, including stains caused by nicotine use, discoloration from certain foods or drinks, or because of poor oral hygiene habits. Discoloration can also be caused by certain prescription medications or patients with Fluorosis.
One of the biggest benefits to teeth whitening is that the procedure is noninvasive and can typically be performed in just one visit. The procedure will generally begin with a professional cleaning, during which your dentist will remove any food particles or bacteria. Once removed, your teeth will be polished and light reshaping will be done if necessary. Finally, a custom mold will be made of your teeth, which will be used to create effective and long-lasting results.
It is important for patients to be aware that tooth whitening is not permanent and multiple sessions will be required for patients wanting to maintain a consistent bright white smile. This is especially true for patients who smoke or frequently drink tea, coffee, or red wine.
Teeth whitening can be a wonderful option for patients who are looking for a long-term solution for improving the aesthetic appearance of their smile. If you would like to learn more about teeth whitening, please read below, or contact our staff who will be happy to answer any of your questions and/or set up a consultation.
If you would like to schedule an appointment or if you have any questions about our treatment options, please contact our office at (919) 595-1010. We look forward to creating the smile you have always desired a reality for you.
Teeth Whitening Candidates
Although teeth whitening is a noninvasive procedure, it may not be an appropriate treatment option for patients who meet the following criteria.
- Age. Bleaching should not be performed by anyone under the age of 16.
- Allergies: Patients who are allergic to peroxide should not have this treatment performed.
- Teeth are darkly stained. Teeth whitening works optimally for patients with yellowed teeth and is much less effective for patients whose teeth are stained brownish or blue-gray.
- Gum disease, exposed roots, cavities, or worn enamel. Patients who have any of these issues would benefit more from procedures to improve functionality. Additionally, the solution can cause extreme tooth sensitivity when it reaches preexisting decay.
- Crowns, fillings, or other restorations. Whitening agents will not have any impact with the materials used in dental restorations. For patients who have multiple restorations, a better approach may be crowns, veneers, or dental bonding.
Gum or tooth sensitivity: It is important for patients who have receding gums or sensitive teeth to consult with their dentist before having this procedure performed.
Home Vs. Professional Treatment
Although there are certain benefits that come with over-the-counter tooth whitening treatments, to achieve maximum results, you will want to schedule an in-office appointment. This is especially true for patients who have gum or teeth sensitivity.
Additional benefits include the following:
- Strength of bleaching agent. In-office tooth whitening products contain much higher concentrated levels of hydrogen peroxide compared to over-the-counter.
- Mouthpiece trays. Unlike most over-the-counter products, in-office teeth whitening trays are customized to your specific mouth, which maximizes the effect of the whitening gel and reduces the likelihood of irritation to the gums.
- Additional protective measures. During your in-office teeth whitening, your dentist can use a rubber shield or gel to protect your gums.
Proper Care Improves Longevity of the Teeth Whitening
Following a tooth whitening treatment, it is important to avoid foods or beverages that can stain your teeth, such as red wine, berries, tea, or coffee until the tooth whitening sets in. To continue enjoying the benefits of your teeth whitening, be sure to also practice good oral hygiene habits every day. If you follow these best practices, you will experience longer lasting results and improve your overall oral health.
- Brush twice daily (minimum) and practice proper brushing technique. Talk to your dentist about at-home whitening toothpaste options. In addition to brushing regularly, it is also important to brush effectively. Our staff will be happy to answer any questions you may have about proper brushing techniques.
- Floss daily. If you are someone who tends to avoid flossing, you may want to consider flossing alternatives, such as interdental brushes or floss picks.
- Be mindful of your diet. One of the best ways you can prevent dental issues from developing is to avoid foods that are sugary or high in starch. If you do drink soda or sugary beverages, try to use a straw to limit exposure of sugar to your teeth. It is also important to swish your mouth with water following meals, as doing so can dislodge food remnants, which, if left alone can create future tooth decay.
- Schedule regular dental exams. Unchecked dental issues can result in additional issues and progression of decay, which is why it is so important to visit your dentist every six months. In addition to providing a deep clean for your teeth and diagnosing potential issues before they progress, these regular checkups also allow your dentist to monitor the status of your teeth whitening.
High-Quality Dental Care
At Cornerstone Family Dentistry in Chapel Hill, all our services are performed with the patient in mind. We want you to feel comfortable in the dental chair, confident in our work, and most importantly, we want you to fall in love with your smile again. If you would like to schedule an appointment or if you have any questions about cosmetic procedures that we offer, please contact us at (919) 595-1010.